We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you.
Email marketing is here to stay forever and it’s one of the best converting online marketing channels of all time.
You will hear 99.99% of digital marketers preaching about email marketing, do you thing they don’t know what they are saying?
They definitely do. If you spent $1 on email marketing carefully, it wills definitely going to bring return of $38. So it a win, win marketing.Email marketing is the most direct and effective of connecting with your leads, nurture them and convert them into happy regular customers. Click To Tweet
In this ultimate guide, you will learn the entire process of email advertising ranging from how to set up your email funnel, list building, and how to generate sales from your list.
So let’s begin………
Email marketing is the process of uses of email to promote your products or services to your prospects.
It’s a branch of online marketing which surpass other digital marketing channels.
It is a high converting digital marketing tactic of sending emails to leads and customers.
The aim of email marketing is to convert leads to customer and turn one-time buyers to regular customers.
If you truly want to venture into email marketing then, this ultimate guide got you covered.
This is a long form content so we’ve broken it down into difference section so that you can navigate to any segment of the content easily.
You can use the table of content links to properly navigate round the content.
5 Reasons to start email marketing for your online business
Despite the popularity of social media and the disdain spam email which is not a good marketing tactic but still, email remain the most active way to interact with leads and convert them to customers or loyal fans.
There are many reasons you should email marketing for your business but here are five below:
1. It’s easy to manage: Email is extremely easy to set up, send or create campaign and track campaign to know exactly how the campaign open rate the click through rate are.
Email marketing software like constant contact made it easier to create effective email campaigns that generate sales.
Email advertising is none like social media marketing that require a lot of strategies.
2. It is cheap: Emailing is an inexpensive way to advertise your business and it products or services compare to other marketing platforms.
With just $20/month, you can market your products or services to unlimited prospects without hassle.
If you want to create effective Facebook marketing ads that convert, you need to spend at least $1,000 above per month.
You are set to start send unlimited email to over 1000 subscribers per month which will lead to more leads and sales.
3. It is a best communication platform: Email remains the best communication platform for business owners and their clients.
Customers value their email than any other social media handles.
The chart below show the best communication platform between marketers and their clients
What made email more effective is that, your message goes directly to your prospects inbox.
And statistic conducted by constant contact show that 98.4% of customers check their mail daily.
So you know what it mean for customers to check your business daily, more awareness, leads and sales right?.
4. Up selling: This is one of the most important part of email marketing or reasons you should start email advertising for your business right now.
It allows you to sell to a single customer more than one time. Take a look at the info-graphic below and read the information carefully or you may click the image to read the whole article.
For instance smith purchased a Samsung galaxy s10 from you today and summits his email address, you can still promote other products like galaxy s10 battery, ear piece, screen guard or other any related products to smith in future and he will happily purchase if he needs any.
That’s the power of email ads strategies.
5. Drive more sales in mere minutes (automatically): Email marketing automation keeps your audience engaged and build strong customers relationship by:
- Greet new subscribers with a timely welcome email
- Trigger email series based on where contact click
- Segment contacts to send the right message every time and to the right audience
- Automatically resend emails to non-openers
- Expound your reach with awesome list build tools. Tool that actually work
With email advertising, making sales is no longer an impediment.
It attend to customers un-behave of you.
How to start email marketing (step by steps guide)
Email marketing is the simplest type of online marketing to get started.
But for the purpose of this content we’ll focus on constant contact.
The most reason we want to consider this software is that, it easy to set up, use, create campaign and the most of all, it free for our readers for 60 days.
So, let’s begin the steps one after the order.
Step 1: Sign up for constant contact
The reason you’ve to sign up for this software first is that, you can’t conduct effective email advertising without CRM software.
The good part of this software is that any of their plans is free to use for 60 days and you will have full access to all their premium templates and tools in order for you to determine whether the software is worthy purchase.
Then, a page like this will open
Go through it and select the plan that suit your marketing/business needs.
Fill the form and click the NEXT button,
Another page will open, do the same as you did above until you complete the registration process.
Step 2: Start building email list:
We’ve completely set up your email account with constant contact.
The next thing to do now is to start building and grow your email list.
When some people had of email list building, all they could think of is to place subscriber form or popup form on their website and hope for people to sign up.
These practices may not get you enough email lists.
Why? Because, email address is an online golden asset, no one likes to give it out anyhow.
So, you have to come up with something that will let your audience happily sign up without asking them to do so.
And that is called LEAD MAGNET.
What is a lead magnet?
A lead magnet is a trade by barter system of list building which means you will give away your exclusive stuff for free in exchange for an email address.
It may cost you $0 or small fee to create it.
But you need to create something that is useful for your prospects and that can attract prospects to your optim form or lead box.
Most lead magnet are digital materials like pdfs, videos, mp3 audio files or courses that you can create at $0 cost or little cost.
It can be anything you can create as far as it will add value to your audience for free.
Here are some types of lead magnet you can create:
- Free tools
- A cheat sheet or template
- Report or case studies
- White paper
- Free trial of a software
- Free consultation or quote
- A coupon or discount
- Membership access
How to create effective lead magnet
Don’t forget that, the asset you about to create aren’t for you rather it for your visitors.
So make sure to make your lead magnet relevant to your prospects. Here are few tips to create effective lead magnet that attract millions email addresses.
1. Ensure that the material is easy to consume: Lead magnet should be simple and easy to consume again and again, and which holds big value to your visitors.
Don’t assume something value means something big. At this point you need to offer them easy to consume material.
The lead magnet should be something your visitors will consume in less time than the one that will take them weeks or more to consume.
The funny part of this is that, the bigger it is the less your readers will use it.
2. Keep it actionable: Lead magnet need to be actionable information which means practical information your prospects can apply or implement.
3. Solution base content: Lead magnet should provide practical information that solves a problem and create a realistic way to achieve the solution.
4. Create relevant material: Create offer that is very useful to your visitors and what they actually in need and value.
How can you do this? Conduct a research to know what your prospects are actually in need.
5. Create up to date material: When creating your offer, try to keep it up to date so that your readers wouldn’t get disappointed. Readers are smart, so you need to be smart too.
6. Let your offer available all the time: Let your offer available all the time for instant download or access after email submission.
People love this more than anything. So if they gave you what you want, and then give them what they want too.
7. Come up with mind blowing headline: Headline play a big role in lead magnet. How effective your headline is that determine how fruitful your lead generator will be.
Take this drastically so that you can draw people attention to your lead magnet. You can look at these real-life lead magnet examples below:
The aim of your optin form is to convince your readers to subscribe to your newsletters in exchange for getting your high value materials (lead magnet).
Every successful optin form contains some special components we itemize below:
1. Effective headline (title): The title is one of the most important element of your optin form as it serve a double functions; catching your visitors attentions and notify them the merits of them sign up.
Here are four practical example of headline:
- Join our free newsletter (bad)
- Join “learning is easy now” weekly business tips (good)
- Get latest business tips from us (better)
- 8 proven ways to advertise your business and got maximum exposure (best and recommend)
You can read this case study on beemdigital.com to know how to create perfect headline.
2. Use attractive media materials: These include images and videos. Quality image grab attention. So consider adding image to your lead magnet.
3. Effective description: This is very important. Is your description helpful, clear and to the point?
Clear description increases the conversion of your lead magnet. So consider using bullet points or check icon to help readers understand your optin form quickly.
4. Keep it simple: Make your optin form simple and easy to digest by your visitors. Don’t ask for more than name and email and use bright color for your call-to-action (CTA).
5. The call-to-action: This is the main pillar of any successful sign up form. However using a default button which simply says “SUBMIT” is bad.
The button or the call-to-action should help to confirm the subject line and the benefit make clicking that button the logical step for the subscriber.
Here are few examples of strong call to action buttons:
- For a webinar “Reserve my seat now”
- For a training “Send me my FREE training guide now”
- For a weekly newsletter “ Yes, I’m in” or “Am in”
- For a video “Get instant access to the video now”
So as you can see there is no default “submit” message anywhere in the instances above. You can read this CTA tips on hubspot, it is helpful.
6. Ensure that the workflow work: Experience the workflow before going live.
Meaning test the system whether it work as intended, which means you should undergo the entire process to know whether is okay.
This is one of your first impressions on your new leads; make it a professional and positive one. To avoid leads bounce back.
Once you’ve successful created your optin form, you need to install it on your website and other platform to acquire email addresses. So look below:
15 Best converting place to place your optin form on your website:
- Your sidebar
- Blog archive page
- Your site header
- Your site footer
- Splash page
- Within your blog posts
- Before and after of your blog post contents
- Welcome page
- Floating bar
- Landing page
- Resource page
- Early light-box popup
- Exist-intent popup
- In a scroll box
- On a designated sign up page
Other platforms to distribute your lead magnet are:
- On your social media pages
- Forum and reach out to family and friends
- Create social media ads; this is the fattest way to build 100k email list in less than 30 days.
Choose email marketing service provider
We’ve already decided to go with constant contact above. In case you may not want them, then here are other email marketing service we highly recommends for any serious entrepreneurs, bloggers, agencies, business owners and digital marketers.
1. Get response
Getresponse is a responsive all-in-one email marketing software that allows you to create responsive email, landing pages, and autoresponders with A/B testing feature built in.
It was designed to help marketers maximize their email marketing efforts by enhancing their lists with new, engaged contacts.
GetResponse platform, it’s a complete email marketing solution, providing marketers with both the know-how and necessary tools to launch an effective email marketing campaign.
They have a course that is unique and created exclusively for GetResponse customers, both free trial and paid accounts that have less than 10,000 contacts.
You can send email to targeted specific subscribers. Learn more about get respond here.
Getrespose price started at $15 per month for a list size of 1,000 and goes up to $1,199 per month for enterprise users.
Convertkits is excellence email marketing software for professional bloggers, authors, speakers, and startup entrepreneurs. It is a CRM without high price tag.
Convertkits price started at $29 per month for up to 1,000 subscribers and goes up from there.
Hubspot is all-in-one marketing tools that go beyond email marketing. Hubspot offers a full stack of software for marketing, sales, and customer services with a completely free CRM at its core.
They also provide everything you need to organize, track and build better relationships with leads and customers at 100% free, yes, for free.
You had me right, it 100% free forever according to them. And they have other free tools like free ads software and email.
You can learn about hubspot here
Hubspot starter price started at $50 per month for 1,000 contacts and additional $20 for very additional 1,000 contacts. Professional price goes for $800 per month and enterprise goes for $3,200 per month.
If you really want to grow your business and had planned to surpass your competitors, then, I think hubspot is what you need. You can learn more about hubspot here.
Constant contact is one of the best email marketing providers in the world. They allow you to manage your subscribers and create professional emails with template and drag and drop editing tools.
You can set up autoresponder to send email to new subscribers with their autoresponder feature.
Constant contact price
Constant contact is free for our readers for 60 days, so you can try it here. After that, the prices start from $20/month.
You have a lot of email marketing software or services provider to select from right? All of the software listed above are tested and well trusted, so if you choose any of them you have nothing to worry about.
With Unbounce, you can create and optimize dedicated landing pages that prompt your visitors with one focused goal instead of leaving them to wander a site full of distractions.
Get built-in conversion power and the ability to A/B test your pages to see exactly what’s working. Experiment with messaging, design, and forms to validate what makes more visitors convert more often. So unbounce is truly worthy having.
Unbounce price start at $99/mo for essential, $199/mo for premium and as our reader you can get essential at $79/month and premium at $159/month.
Now let’s move to email segmentation.
Segment your email list
Now that you’ve know the best email marketing service providers and you’ve also picked your favorite one too.
What next now is email segmentation (which means you have to segment your email list for maximum results).
What is email list segmentation?
Email list segmentation is the process of splitting your subscribers into difference groups base on specific interest of the subscribers, so that you can send them personalized and interested emails.
This means you will send your subscribers what they want.
Rather than sending everyone on your list the same email which may not be interested by some of them.
Email list segmentation will help you to make the best out of your email advertising efforts.
Why you need to segment your email list?
You need to segment your list because segmentation will drastically increase the open rates, click through rates and reduce unsubscribe rates of your email campaigned.
That’s why every creative marketer, use list segmentation to improve their email campaigns or boosts their email campaigns.
By the time you splits your list into specific interest base, it allows you to send targeted emails.
It will make it easy for you to nurture your leads and convert them to regular customers.
How to segment your email list
The aim of segmentation is to know how your subscribers optin and what exactly they want from you so that you can match them with the right products or contents they truly need and value.
Now we’re going to consider some ways you can use to segment your list productively. Are you ready? If so let’s go:
1. New subscribers: Send new subscribers a welcome message or related message on how they got into your list.
2. Interested base: Those who interested in gadget or that.
3. Newsletter subscribers: Those who interested who interested to read blog posts.
4. Open rates: Group your most engaging audience in one place to offer them more relevant offer because they worthy rewarding or deserve it.
5. Cart abandonment: Notify those who put something in a cat and never return
6. Geographical location: Figure out what each of your subscribers from difference geographical location need, which will help you to develop strong relationships with them.
By dividing your list, you’re giving yourself the capability to send more targeted message that will really get attention of your readers.
For instance some prospects want both products and sales update, which others might only want to hear about new offers.
So you need to extra careful in splitting your list. You have built a lot of email list, what you’ve to do now is to send your message out to the subscribers.
STEP 3: Start promoting:
Before we can start the real marketing process, let’s take a look at few tips that will help you maximize your email marketing strategies.
Here’re few tips to implement right now:
1. Don’t buy list: Purchased of email list would be the worst mistake you will ever did as far as email advertising is concerned.
If you bought a list, you will probably find it difficult to segment it because you don’t know who you are dealing with.
Not only that will be the cons of it, 80% of the list may likely opted out and also may decrease the open rates and cause lack of trust between your and the subscribers.
So, we don’t recommend buying of email list. Build your own organically.
2. Cross check your email copy: Proofread all newsletters and email copies before hitting the send button to avoid unnecessary writing errors.
3. Choose easy-to-use email marketing service: This is one of the important part of email marketing. Some emails software is very had to lay hands on.
In choosing your software you need to be careful so that you wouldn’t waste your efforts and resources on the rock. Our recommends email marketing services:
The software listed above are all easy to use, set up and to send your message easily.
4. Use multimedia materials: When creating your email contents include media materials (images, videos and info-graphic) to be quickly understood by your visitors.
A single informative media is better than a thousand words email copy. So, think about it and take a look at this one below;
5. Adopt story telling tactic: To experience successful email marketing, you need to adopt story telling methodology. This will tell your readers that you are real.
I’m a proudly happy subscriber of these expert marketers.
6. Keep your email copy short: Don’t get people bore because you want to persuade them to buy from you or believe in you.
I don’t think anyone have time to read message that contain over a thousand words except it’s a story telling or how to type of contents.
Keep it short but effective. Take a look at this email from Matthewwoodward
7. Focus on your audience first: Focus on your customers first not yourself. You can make if you can serve humanity and if you can’t serve humanity then, you can’t made it.
You need to focus on your leads and customers rather yourself. Try to help them, nurture and match them with the offer they actually needs. When you do these, you will definitely have successful email marketing business.
8. Build trust and loyalty: My mentor says; before anyone can buy from you he or she has already bought you.
This is very true, if anyone love you, they would automatically love your business and guess what will happen next the will love to buy from you all the time.
9. Implement email signature: Include your signature and contact information and the end of every email you send to your subscribers. This will show them that you’re real and it also enhances trust between you and them.
10. Create attention grabbing headline: This is what will determine your email open rates, whether it will be open or not lies on your subject line.
If your headline is appealing, it will increase your open rates and if it’s not, the open rates decrease.
Let’s start the real marketing process:
As you have everything that required to conducting proper email marketing in place, what remain now is to start leverage all the opportunities email presents.
Here’re ways to conducting the marketing:
1. Set up a welcome email or welcome email series: A welcome email simply means when a new subscriber subscribed to your list they will receive a gratitude message from you.
Example thank you to subscribed to ABC news newsletters.
Welcome email series
Welcome email series is the process of setting up 2-3 emails to delivers to a new subscriber automatically by using autoresponders.
Your first message should be appreciation, and then offers followed.
This help to notify the subscriber’s insight of what they are going to receive from you. But make sure to make it more relevant.
What is autoresponder?
An autoresponder is a sequence of email that is automatically sent to people on your email list.
This can be done using autoresponder feature of your email serve to scheduling a set of emails to send in advance to your subscribers.
The content of the autoresponder series is created in advance and set up to send at the appropriate time with the help of your email marketing software.
Autoresponder help email marketer to nurture their leads and turn prospects to customers.
Every online business needs autoresponder to enhance their communication with their leads and customers.
Autoresponder come with your email marketing software in case you may wonder how to get it, if you purchase any of the software we recommended in this article you don’t have anything to worry about.
2. Send mails: Start sending email as usual and remember to keep it useful and helpful.
Step 4: How to write email copy that convert
With the tons of email sent out per day by difference marketers like you make it very complex for your mail to be read if you don’t know how to create copy that people actually want to reads.
Here’re few quick tips to create better newsletter copy that your audience will truly value and the same time convert like crazy:
1. Be mindful of your readers: Create your content to solve your subscribers problem.
You should always write your email to address the needs of your readers not yours.
Focus on how to solve their problem rather than preaching about your products or services and how great they are all the time.
Talking about your offer nothing bad about it, but shouldn’t always.
Try to figure out the major problems your readers are facing and how you can help them solve the problems.
2. Create un-withstand subject line: A great email subject line motivate recipients to open your message. So take your time to create what will grab your recipient’s attention to your message.
3. Make it personal: By personalizing the contents of your email will make it more helpful and useful to your recipients.
When creating your message don’t focus on everybody on your list, assume that you are writing for only one person.
And also your subject line should be personal and the entire content.
4. Add your link more than one-time: This is very supper important. You may add your offer link at the middle and the end of the contents.
Note: don’t just insert your link, use call-to-action (CTA) instead to increase click through rates.
We hope this ultimate guide to email marketing has helped you known how to start effective email advertising. We’ve covered almost all aspect of email marketing process.
If you have been ignoring email marketing then, it high time to include it to your marketing plan. Email brings huge return for marketers these days than any other online marketing channels.
So you need to get started now before it gets complicated. Finally don’t forget that you can’t do email advertising without email marketing tools and here are our expert recommend tools:
Other sale tools you must have;
- Leadpage: Leadpages helps small businesses connect with an audience, collect leads, and close sales. Easily build websites, landing pages, pop-ups, alert bars, and beyond.
- Post affiliate pro: Affiliate software for tracking affiliate programs & networks
- Surveysparrow: Grow your business with the continuous feedback loop.
- Freshchat: Turn visitors into leads and customers into happy, engaged users. Freshchat is a modern messaging software built for teams who want to ace customer conversations—marketing, sales, or support.
- proof: Increase your leads, demos and sales by 10% in less than 10 minutes! By humanize your website, build trust, and authentically create urgency. Proven to boost conversions on over 20,000 sites with average lift of +10%.
- Unbounce: Experiment with messaging, design, and forms to validate what makes more visitors convert more often.
- QuickBooks: Smarter business tools for the world’s hardest workers. Track expenses, customise invoices, run reports
and more, all from one place.
Thanks for reading this post to this extent. It’s a kind of long form content right? It’s because it is an ultimate guide.
There you have them all. It’s up to you now to take action and start growing your business with email marketing.
If you have any questions, contributions or suggestions don’t hesitate to leave comment below. Thank for passing by.